My garden is bursting with basil! I don't know about you, but I've only been able to find one type of vegan (cheese free) pesto in the stores - and $6 for tiny jar of pesto just seems absurd. This recipe is the perfect alternative and freezer friendly! Need some inspiration on how to use pesto in your meals? Check the bottom of this post for a list of ideas!
- 3 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: nutritional yeast
- Combine the basil, pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice and red pepper flakes in a food processor or high powered blender and pulse until the ingredients are finely chopped.
- While the machine runs, slowly add olive oil in a steady stream until it becomes a smooth paste. If the pesto is too thick for your taste, continue to add olive oil until you reach your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
As you can see from the photo above, I made a huge batch and separated it in little ball canning jars. These will last in the freezer for months, just defrost in the refrigerator before using.
Looking for some fun new ways to add pesto to your meals? Check out these ideas!